When we start out as entrepreneurs, we want and need to make sales. The idea that the customer is always right or that the customer is number one is a predominant part of our thinking. As our businesses develop, we add costs, staff, products and new customers. The problem is when it comes to negotiating; many entrepreneurs give away too much just to make the sale.
- We are desperate...we really need the business.
- We really don't want to be turned down by the customer.
- We want to make the customer to be happy.
- We don't want the customer to take his or her business elsewhere.
- We desire certainty in the outcome.
Men vs. Women
- Know what you need…have you walking point.
- Don’t try to take everything off the table. You want people to deal with you again.
- Not all business situations should happen. Perhaps you can’t pay what your supplier needs for her products or services. Doing a deal under these circumstances is bad for both parties.
- Try to find alternatives instead of compromises.
- Remember a future law…your head must say yes, but your gut can say no.